As I am sure you know, cereal is possibly one of the worst things for us. A grain heavy bowl pumped with artificial flavours, preservatives, added sugars, E-numbers, and buckets of vegetable oil sends your blood glucose on a little roller coaster ride of it’s own and that’s usually before you’ve even headed for school/work. I am a huge fan of creating my own granola with the pulp from juicing, mixed nuts, and seeds – an all round healthier alternative. However I appreciate that work and life inevitably get in the way and to be honest who wants to be toasting nuts and seeds at 6am on a work day morning!?
We were recently sent a bag of pre-made granola by the lovely folk at “RAWnola”. RAWnola is 100% Paleo, grain and gluten free, and a pure clean eating cereal filled with good fats, natural sugars and all round goodness – it’s the perfect breakfast cereal alternative.
RAWnola is a trademarked brand owned by Fundamental Supplies, a small family run business run by Paul (an ex GB Athlete) with the help of his partner Alison and their daughter Alice. The brand is based and created in Wigan but ship worldwide.
What’s in a bag of Rawnola?
Firstly the most important thing to note is that there are no grains, no dairy, no gluten, no wheat, no sulphites, and no vegetable oil in these bags of deliciousness. What is in them however is an abundance of additive free and health friendly goodness; cashews, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried cranberry, flaked coconut, coconut oil, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, lime juice, star anise, fennel, black pepper, and cloves. Cashews and walnuts are an abundant source of essential minerals. Minerals, especially manganese, potassium, copper, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium are concentrated in these nuts. A handful of nuts a day in the diet provides enough of these minerals and may help prevent deficiency diseases. Both are packed with soluble dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals, and numerous health-promoting phytochemicals that help protect us from diseases and cancers. They are rich in “heart-friendly” monounsaturated-fatty acids like oleic and palmitoleic acids. These essential fatty acids help lower harmful LDL cholesterol while increasing good HDL cholesterol.
What is RAWnola sweetened with?
RAWnola certainly attacks the taste buds with its wonderful array of flavours:
- Honey has been used for thousands of years by countless cultures. It is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Honey has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and has long been used as a natural antiseptic. It is also an excellent source of energy.
- Cinnamon adds a fragrant, warm and sweet taste. It has numerous health benefits including anti-inflammatory properties, is a good source of calcium and fibre, it helps control blood sugar levels, and its scent boosts brain function.
- Star anise is all about the anti-. It is anti-fungal, antibacterial, and full of antioxidants. It is a rich source of shikimic acid which has anti-viral properties.
- Cloves are a mild anesthetic and antibacterial agent – excellent for dental health or in the treatment of dental procedures.
- Fennel is a very good source of fibre, potassium, folate, and vitamin C. These are just a few of the 80 nutrients that it contains!
- Maple syrup is a natural sweetener that contains over 54 antioxidants!
- Lime juice has numerous benefits including assisting with weight loss, skincare, improved digestion, relief from constipation, eye care, and the treatment of scurvy, piles, respiratory disorders, gout, and urinary disorders.
- Finally as in all good recipes is the pinch of black pepper. The pepper simulates the taste buds in such a way that an alert is sent to the stomach to increase hydrochloric acid secretion, therefore improving digestive health!
How much does one bag weigh?
The weight of one bag of RAWnola is 350g. Depending on whether you are eating it in a bowl with some nut mylk or sprinkling it on to some coconut yogurt will determine how quickly you demolish a bag.
Approximately 6 months, however if you are anything like our household then it will unlikely last more than ten days!
How much is a bag of RAWnola?
As with any “health” food there comes a price tag of £5.95 for 350g. This isn’t a box of sugar riddled ‘Coco Pops’ we’re talking about but a heart and health friendly bag of goodness.
Who is RAWnola suitable for?
RAWnola is suitable for those following the Paleo lifestyle, Coeliacs, vegetarians, IBS Sufferers, and athletes. Please note that ALL RAWnola products contain nuts.
Where can I buy a bag of RAWnola?
RAWnola is a great choice for those seeking a “healthier” breakfast alternative. I love the simple and natural packaging and for me one bag lasted around 10 breakfasts. As with any free-from products this of course comes with a price tag, however for the amount you get and for all of the ingredients I think the price is worth it. The only thing I did find about this product was that it was very cinnamon heavy. I love cinnamon so this wasn’t too much of an issue for me, but for those that aren’t big fans it might well be too over powering. My favourite way to eat it is sprinkled on some coconut yogurt with a handful of blueberries and a few goji berries.
If you’d like to follow RAWnola online then check out the links below:
RAWnola is the perfect breakfast cereal alternative. Free from any nasties and bursting with flavour, texture, good fats, vitamins and nutrients.