Summer, summer, summer! It’s finally here. Well, sort of. The British Summer is here at least. Wind, rain, cloud, and every so often, sun. However, this will not put me down especially with this ultra colourful, sweet, salty, and nutty salad. The inspiration actually came from caramelized bacon and peanuts. *drool*. An American favourite which has travelled across the pond; this Peach Prosciutto Salad has a more European theme.
True prosciutto is a sweet, delicate ham intended to be eaten raw and made in Italy. Nowadays most of us buy it from the supermarket or if you’re like me and have the luxury of quality ingredients on your doorstep – your local butchers, in a seasoned, cured, air-dried form. The fusion of the thinly sliced, slightly salt meat, with the ultra sweet peaches, and nutty pine nuts will send your senses to a whole different level.
I thoroughly enjoyed this quick, easy salad for my breakfast but I can highly recommend sitting in your back garden or prepared for a picnic on a summers day. Paleo, nutritious, light, and delicious. What more could you want.
- 80g Prosciutto
- 1 Can of tinned sliced peaches in fruit juices
- 1 Handful of pine nuts
- 200g Mixed watercress, rocket, and spinach leaves
- Drizzle of oil (olive/avocado)
- Drizzle of balsamic syrup
- In a serving bowl, empty the contents of the mixed leaves.
- Next add the prosciutto and pine nuts.
- Drain the fruit juice from the sliced peaches.
- Optional to grill the peaches on with a little olive oil to with the pine nuts to create a smoky flavour.
- Add the peaches to the salad bowl.
- Finally finish with the olive oil and balsamic.