There are currently a lot of coconut water brands gracing our supermarket shelves but what sets Buko aside from the rest is its upstanding ethical practice. Buko coconut water is sourced from organic, GMO free farms located within the Philippines. Buko also works closely with the farmers to ensure that they always get a fair price for their crop and to obtain the best quality young green coconuts grown without the use of pesticides or fertilisers.
But Buko don’t stop there – they’ve teamed up with Cuipo an environmental organisation and lifestyle brand who work with various companies around the world to help protect the planets rainforests. Everytime you buy a carton of Buko Organic Coconut Water, Buko give a proportion of the income to Cuipo who then use that income to donate one square metre of the rainforest to the non-profit organisation ‘1 Metre at a Time‘. So the more you drink the more square metres of rainforest are saved.
So now you know you’re getting an ethical and good quality product but what are the health benefits of drinking coconut water?
- Coconut water is packed full of electrolytes and acts as a natural isotonic so it is perfect as a post workout top-up drink, to lower your blood pressure, or it can be used to remedy a hangover after drinking a little bit too much alcohol by restoring your electrolyte balance.
- Moisturise your skin from within by drinking coconut water – due to its antioxidant content, such as cytokinins, it can detoxify your body resulting in vibrant and young looking skin. You can also apply coconut water topically to act as a toner.
- Coconut water is rich in the minerals; calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, and sodium.
- Due to coconut water’s rich nutrient content it can leave you feeling full thus acting like an appetite suppressant and aiding in weight loss. It is also low in calories, fats, and sugars.
- Coconut water aids your digestion but be careful as consuming large amount will have laxative effects!
If you’d like to check out some pretty awesome facts about ‘The Tree of Life’ itself (a.k.a. the coconut tree) then head on over to Buko.
Overall the Primal Eye team loved the refreshingly sweet and nutty taste of Buko Organic Coconut Water. It’s great for making super tasty ice lollies, adding to smoothies, or simply drank on its own. If you’d like to know what we thought in more detail, and to find out where to buy Buko, take a look below.
Being tapped from young, green coconuts Buko coconut water (buko literally translates as young green coconut in Filipino) has a fresh, nutty, and sweet taste to it with a slight tang too. It’s 100% pure coconut water and nothing else so you can tell that it’s a good quality coconut water, although it isn’t raw like some other brands. Buko gently pasteurise their coconut water in order to extend the shelf life of the product to up to a year. Although Buko is pasteurised you must store it in the refrigerator after opening for up to a maximum of 48 hours.
We tried Buko both chilled and straight from the carton at room temperature – the overall verdict was that it tasted best chilled but was still great at room temperature too.
The overall branding and design is modern and classy – we loved it! All of the information that you need to know is clearly printed on their cartons including their ‘Tree of Life‘ infographic and the Soil Association stamp. Buko use Tetra Pak for their packaging as it helps to extend the shelf life of the product and has an efficient and easy to use design for the consumer. It’s also BPA-free and recyclable which for us was a winner!
The Price and Where to Buy
Buko Organic Coconut Water comes in two carton sizes; 330ml and 1 litre. You can buy a pack of 8x330ml cartons for £15.92 and 6×1 litre cartons for £22.49 direct from Buko themselves. Shipping is £3.00 on orders under £20 and after that it is free.
So as you can see it’s a tad on the pricey side however don’t forget that a portion of what you are paying is going toward saving the rainforest and here at Primal Eye that’s what we are all about!
If you’d like to follow Buko online then check out the links below:
Ethically sourced from organic young, green coconuts in the Philippines Buko coconut water is a delicious and ethical treat with recyclable and BPA-free packaging - perfect for the conscientious health shopper.