Perfect for the beautiful summer weather the UK has been embracing over the last few weeks, these blueberry cream and coulis ice lollies are not only dairy free but they are also free from any nasty additives or refined sugars. Basking in all their own natural glory and goodness they are super simple to make, taste divine and look pretty too. What I love most about them is the sweetness of the coulis with the creaminess of the cream; it is a match made in blueberry heaven.
“So, put the Mr Whippy down, grab your blenders and get creative.”
I have used coconut milk to help create this creamy texture, don’t worry though the taste of coconut is very very subtle but adds a slight tropical note to the lolly. Great for kids and adults too, they are not only made of natural sugars, but they are packed with antioxidants, good fats and a huge array of other vitamins. For those who are not a fan of blueberries you can substitute with raspberries, cherries or strawberries.
Perfect for munching in the garden, as a sweet treat after work or as an alternative to the jingle jangle from the ice-cream van. So, put the Mr Whippy down, grab your blenders and get creative. Not only will your body thank you for it but so will any one you share these with!
- 165g Fresh blueberries (75g for coulis, 90g for blueberry cream)
- 1 Cup coconut milk (shake it up first so the cream and water are combined)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Into a small pan place 75g of blueberries over a high heat with 4 tbsp water. Bring to the boil and allow blueberries to simmer in the water until they have softened and the skins have started to peel away.
- Using a spoon break them down and continue to stir until all the water has evaporated and the coulis has started to thicken. Set aside to cool.
- Into a blender / smoothie maker / Nutribullet, place the remaining 90g blueberries, coconut milk and maple syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the coulis into the bottom of the lolly moulds gently, followed by the blueberry cream. Continue process until all mixture has been used (be creative, create swirls etc!).
- Place lolly pop sticks gently into the mixture before popping into the freezer for at least 8 hours (if your mix seems too loose, freeze for ten minutes and then slide the sticks in). Keep in the freezer until ready to serve!